Contact Us   |   Print Page   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Join
News & Press: Partners

Firefighter Stairclimb Challenge

March 12, 2018   (0 Comments)
Share |



This is the fourth year of the Firefighter Stairclimb Challenge.  Hosted by the Calgary Firefighters Benevolent Society and presented by Encana Corporation, 100% of event proceeds support Wellspring Calgary. Starting at 3400 feet above sea level and ascending 775 vertical feet – 1204 steps – this climb is the highest elevation firefighter stairclimb in the world. Firefighters have the opportunity to be timed wearing their full duty gear, including SCBA packs (without air).

Fully endorsed and supported by the Calgary Fire Department and the International Association of Firefighters Local 255, this event was inspired by Seattle’s Scott Firefighter Stairclimb, and Kathy Blas (sister of Calgary fallen firefighter, Gord Paul). In Alberta, there are 14 presumptive cancers that are recognized as occupational hazards of the firefighter’s job. This event is intended to bring awareness and support to the firefighters and all citizens living with cancer.


Every day 51 Albertans will hear the words “you have cancer.”

Wellspring Calgary exists to help those who hear these words live well with cancer. 
Wellspring Calgary has been delivering cancer supportive care since 2007 to anyone living with any type of cancer at any point on their journey. Resources and programs are available free of charge and without referral to those diagnosed, their families and primary caregivers. Our vision is no one has to face cancer alone.

We invite you to be part of the excitement in bringing this event to Calgary in 2018. Now entering our fourth year, here’s a snapshot of last year’s successes:

  • 513 firefighters climbed the BOW stairs, individually or in teams from their home fire departments.
  • Launched 'Challenge the Chief' civilian climb. Deputy Police Chief Ray Robitaille accepted Chief Dongworth's challenge and raised $11,544 to race Chief Dongworth up the stairs of the BOW.
  • Launched 'The President's Cup’ union challenge. I.A.F.F. 237 (Lethbridge) Union President, Drew Ginther accepted I.A.F.F. 255 (Calgary) Union President, Mike Carter's challenge to fundraise and climb the stairs of the BOW. 
  • 84% represented Canada from British Columbia to Ontario and the USA Pacific Northwest. The remaining 16% represented the Calgary Fire Department.
  • $350,000 (net) was raised by firefighters and the community.
  • The top fundraising team from Fort McMurray raised $19,356; the top individual from Lake Louise raised $7,493.
  • The fastest time was 11:12 minutes. 


Visit to register or phone Karen O’How – Events Manager, Wellspring Calgary at 403-990-5790  or Sameer Shakya – Firefighter Ambassador at for more information.

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal